Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Inspiration for TDF

I decided to start The Drama Foundry out of desperation and my perceived lack of options. It was my childhood friend Matt who came back to Columbus from L.A. after 10 years to go to grad school in Art at OSU who really kicked me in the pants. I was whining... errr complaining that I was trapped in Columbus and that I would never be able to leave. I know, poor me. I had this idea of the grass being greener on the other side - of where? I didn't know. However, it had to be some place other than a Midwestern city like Columbus that could only seem to get a large group of people together to watch football. (Nothing against football per se except when I am stuck in traffic near campus trying to get someplace other than a game...) I am "trapped" here because of my commitments. I have a 7 year-old son who needs his dad and I have two elderly parents who need their only child to help take care of them.

However, I wanted to go to grad school some place really "artsy fartsy" and study something really impractical like - creative writing, play writing, or screenwriting. I have been trying to be practical for the past 9 years since I graduated with my B.A. in English from OSU. I have worked in publishing, done freelancing writing, temping, tech writing, government, I.T., and worked in a pharmacy. Matt told me to stop whining and figure out how to bring the art I wanted to do to me hear in Columbus, Ohio. I brooded over his statement for a couple of days. He was right and I figured I needed to take it a step further. I needed to not only create these opportunities for myself but I also needed to present these opportunities to the universe. I have been told that if you give to others what you most desire, you will get it back three-fold. The other major inspiration here is the Law of Attraction. I have been told by numerous people that if I surround myself around creative people like myself trying to do the same thing, I am much more likely to be successful and in turn bring success to others. My hope is that I learn a lot about starting and running an arts organization and that I am able to help other people like myself in developing their ideas into performances.